No matter what your age, you don’t want to be without health insurance. If you don’t have the protection of a solid New York health insurance plan, you could find yourself buried under a mountain of medical bills at some point in your life. There are countless stories of people who have been in that situation before. So that you don’t have that issue, we’ve got 10 tips that will help you get the coverage you need at rates you can afford.
* Make sure the coverage you get is sufficient enough to take care of expenses and bills when you really need them. Get several New York health insurance quotes from different health insurance providers. If you search online you get the best rates from New York health insurance providers as well as save yourself time in the process.
* Not only do you want to find the right NY health insurance, you also want to make sure that the insurance company is a solid one as well. Find out if they are licensed to do business in New York and you can find out whether they are registered from the New York Insurance Division.
* Make sure you are not looking at a health plan that only offers discounts on health services rather than true insurance. Most health regulators do not recommend these types of plans and they may not be worth your money.
* If you have questions and concerns, you can also contact the NYC Managed Care Consumer Assistance Program who are able to help you with finding Brooklyn health insurance as well as any other area in New York.
* When you have a health insurance policy, make sure that you know what rights you have. Should there be any issues while buying you policy, or if you are concerned about where you are getting your insurance from, know what rights and protection is available to you.
* If you have lost your job recently due to a trade policy such as jobs moving overseas there are options for you. There is a federal law known as Trade Adjustment Assistance Reform Act which may pay about 65% of the cost of your health insurance for up to a year and may even be longer.
* There’s a New York State health insurance program which give streamlined health insurance coverage at discounted rates for individuals. An interesting program that is worth finding out about.
* If you cannot afford to buy a health insurance on your own, you can still get partial coverage from major programs such as Medicaid. That is a federally funded program that you need to qualify for.
* If you were an early retiree and lost health coverage there’s the Pension Benefits Guaranty Corporation which offers to cover 65% of health insurance costs.
* Before committing with any insurance company, you should talk with a health insurance agent in your area first. Make sure that the plan you’ve found is the right one for you by asking them to review it.
By using these suggestions and a few others when searching for your policy, you can get the New York health insurance that you need at a price you can afford.